Gamma Knife at the National Center for Neurosurgery
In June 2021, our Center started to use a modern complex Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion from Elekta. Kazakhstan has become the third country in the CIS and the first in Central Asia to have such high-tech equipment.
About Gamma Knife:
- Gamma knife is not a knife, but rather a sophisticated system that can be used to replace brain surgery or whole brain radiation in some situations.
- It uses a single, high dose of gamma radiation delivered via up to 192 individual beams which intersect at a single spot with the accuracy of less than one-tenth of a millimeter.
- The Gamma Knife procedure does not require the surgeon to make an incision in the scalp, nor an opening in the skull.
- The operation is one-time, and there is no need to carry out in several stages as with radiation therapy.
Therefore, today the Gamma Knife is the "gold standard" of radiosurgical treatment. Today, there are about 400 Gamma Knife installations in the world, and half of them are located in the USA and Japan.
Gamma Knife Treatment:
Gamma Knife is used for tumor lesions, vascular diseases of the brain. When selecting patients for treatment using the Gamma Knife, a certain size of the tumor and vascular lesions of the brain is taken into account. And also, to a certain extent, it is possible to use the Gamma Knife for multiple brain metastases located in vital structures of the brain, without additional surgical risks.
Full technical equipment of the Department of Radiology and Radiosurgery allows doctors to perform high-quality diagnostic studies . Department of Radiology consists of offices MRI , CT , X-ray angiography and operating office.
In its work, the doctors - radiologists based on the idea that the correct diagnosis can be obtained by careful selection of the most benign and , fastest and the most appropriate methods of examination for each patient. In our focus is always the patient .
The office has repeatedly internships abroad, make scientific presentations at international conferences , are members of the Russian and international professional associations in beam diagnostics , authors of scientific publications.
We offer the following studies :
- X-ray examinations
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the head and spine
- Magnetic resonance angiography
- Computed tomography and computed - tomography angiography of intracranial arteries
Computed tomography is equipped with multisided computed tomography multisided company Siemens, Somatom Emotion, established in 2010, Magnetic resonance imaging in our clinic on a tomographic MAGNETOM Symphony1.5t ., Siemens ( Germany) .
In our department , we provide radiographic studies, including with the use of contrast media for digital fluoroscopic system iconos R- 200 , Siemens ( Germany)
Head of the Department is Dr. Zhanibek Baiturlin, Candidate of Medical Science, associate professor.
In our center you can get a consultation with a doctor - a neurologist , including children. For this you need:
Appointments from 8.00 - 17.00 , Monday - Friday.