The Department of Vascular and Functional Neurosurgery has a capacity of 26 beds. Our department provides high-tech medical care to patients with pathology of the vessels of the brain and spinal cord, and also deals with the surgical treatment of epilepsy, the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
Also, the department carries out the whole range of microsurgical operations for pain syndromes, spastic conditions, neuralgia of the cranial nerves, essential tremor. Minimally invasive surgical interventions are performed under local or superficial anesthesia, and the doctors of the department can always adjust their actions depending on the results obtained in the process of intraoperative diagnostics using CT and MRI.
The department has extensive experience in the surgical treatment of such vascular diseases of the central nervous system as aneurysms of the vessels of the brain and spinal cord, arteriovenous malformations, carotid-cavernous fistulas of the cerebral vessels, occlusions of the great arteries of the brain, hemorrhagic and ischemic strokes. The department has introduced methods of surgical treatment of vascular pathology of increased complexity: operations on large and giant cerebral aneurysms, operations to treat large and deeply located vascular malformations, hypervascularized brain tumors. The department's specialists perform about 600 neurosurgical interventions annually.
Modernly equipped and equipped operating rooms, high qualification of surgeons allow performing operations on cerebral vessels of any complexity. To solve the tasks set for us during the operation, we use an operating microscope and a navigation station, which allows us to calculate the optimal trajectory of the surgical access.
Employees of the Department of Vascular and Functional Neurosurgery received 1 patent for an invention, published 1 monograph, 2 guidelines. Among the doctors of the department there are 3 candidates of sciences. Doctors of the department are members of WFNS (World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies), EANS (European Association of Neurosurgeons), ACNS (Asian Congress of Neurosurgeons)
Treatment of patients is carried out according to the principles of minimally invasiveness, minimal trauma and respect for the tissues of the brain and spinal cord. For this purpose, the following techniques are used:
1. Endovascular treatment for cerebral aneurysms (microcoils, remodeling using a balloon or stent
2. Microsurgical excision of vascular anomalies (arteriovenous malformations, arteriovenous fistulas)
3. Endovascular embolization of vascular pathologies (arteriovenous malformations, arteriovenous fistulas) with adhesive components
4. Endovascular treatment of carotid-cavernous anastomosis
5. Endovascular stenting of the vessels of the head and neck
6. Neurostimulation of the spinal cord
7. Radiofrequency thermodestruction of the trigeminal nerve root in neuralgia (inflammation) of the trigeminal nerve
8. Surgical treatment of pharmacoresistive forms of epilepsy
9. Stereotactic neurostimulation of deep brain structures
Head of the department is Dr. Erbol Makhambetov. Candidate of Medical Sciences, associated professor, neurosurgeon of the highest category.